Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Swedish Meatballs

"More meat for the meat eaters!"

The Meatballs:

2 pounds of lean ground beef.

1/2 cup of fresh breadcrumbs. But you can use anything bread-like. See the meatloaf recipe for more suggestions.

1/2 cup white wine. Delicious.

1 beaten egg.

1/2 teaspoon ground allspice.
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg.

I usually add double allspice & nutmeg.

Mix all of that together and shape into 1 inch meatballs. Lay 'em out on a cookie sheet, bake 20 minutes at 350 degrees.

Now for the sauce!

1 jar of currant jelly. about 10 ounces. This is one of those 'pick a flavor' things. I'm going to try with pineapple for a more hawiian flavor. And with jalapeno for a spicy kick.
1/2 cup of chili sauce.
1/4 cup of white wine. And some for the chef. Delicious.

and a tablespoon of cornstarch.

All in a saucepot.

Combine it and mix, over a medium heat till it starts to boil and thicken.

In my experience I took the meatballs out and put them in my 2 pound loaf pan, they fit well, and poured the sauce over.

In my experience the meatballs will be done before the sauce if you put them in before you start the sauce.

No comments: