Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Meat Group!

Mega Meatloaf.

This is somethin I started throwing together recently and I love how good it is. When you want something to cook that'll take a while and yet when you're done, fill you up solid.

In a big mixing bowl:

1/4 teaspoon Sage
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1/2 teaspoon Dry Mustard
1/4 teaspoon Ground Pepper
2 minced garlic cloves.
1/2 cup of bread crumbs.

I ususally shake it around at this point and get it all mixed in just right.

I also substitute the breadcrumbs for whatever's going to do the job. I've used:
Fritos
Doritos
Regular generic crunchy taco shells.
Oatmeal

And once that's blended nice, add 1 cup of BUTTERMILK. Or 1 cup of whole milk. Or hell, steal some cream from the coffee drinker who wants food too.

2 tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce. Now I've tried a few generics, but the old fashioned Lea & Perrins is the best I've come across so far. Bigger bottle means cheaper, btw. You should always have this stuff around, since it's a manly bachelor thing for steaks and marinades ... and meatloaf!

I usually mix that around till you get something mushy and consistent.

Then you pick two to three pounds of ground meat. I usually go with lean beef and italian sausage, or lean beef and lean pork, I pondered since it's the Holidays, trying turkey and beef. But usually just stick with what's cheap. Beef has a way of filling and sticking around a while.

Use your bachelor powers of messyness and mix it all up by hand. When it's nice and even, plop it into a 2 pound loaf pan. Smoosh it out kinda flat.

Take your favorite steak sauce and baste across the top of it good and thick.

Bake in the middle of the oven at 350 degrees for 90 minutes.

Now you have 90 minutes to finish doing the dishes. Or preparing side dishes. Or whatever.

No comments: