Tuesday, February 6, 2007

It has begun!

So I think to myself, out loud, so everyone can hear:

"Why not create an online recipe list for bachelors who want to eat more than Cup-O-Noodles(tm) and Crack Ramen?"

I thought this idea up, while making brunch snack food / meal food. Something simple. Something cheap. Something portable.

Recepie # 1

Hard Boiled Eggs.

Some nutritionist will probably tell me that eggs are good for you. Some may say that eggs are bad for you. I think eggs are eggs, they're one of the least respected food ingredients out there. But the thing is, they're blissfully cheap for the amount of nutrients contained therein.

Eggs exist as recipe ingredients for the most part.

But does this fit with the Bachelor Chow Mentality (Fast, Cheap, Easy to make, Filling?)

1) So onto the burner on a medium heat, goes a saucepan, cold water. Ordinary cheap tapwater will do. This isn't the Bourgeois Bachelor Blog. In goes 3 eggs per person intended to be fed. Gently of course, you don't want to crack them, and I generally leave a half an inch, to an inch above the top of the eggs to let them have some room to roll around when everything comes to a boil.
2) I have at my disposal a neat lid with a breathing hole, it's the lid for my ricemaker. It lets some but not all of the steam out, and adds just a little bit of pressure, and traps heat in.
3) Since you started with fresh cold water, and cold eggs out of the fridge, it should take a few unattended minutes to get going on a low boil.
4) After the cold water and the eggs comes up to a slow boil, I covered with the lid, to trap more heat in, and set my oven timer for ten minutes, because I like hard boiled eggs to be hard boiled.

I filled this time with my morning routines, made some coffee.

5) Here's the hard part. Taking it off the stove, and cooling the eggs to where you're not going to burn yourself eating them. Eggs are small round and hide their core heat pretty well when they're hard boiled. Just to make sure I tilted the saucepan to empty out as much of the hot water as possible, and ran cold water from the tap, again, into the pot for a minute or two while I cleaned up another dish or two from the previous night that got set into the sink late, or got found sitting somewhere and brought in as a straggler.

Yes, it's a Bachelor Blog. I'm a single bachelor, and I have two college roomies. Or sometimes I like to think of them as large primates in a zoo. After all, like Ernie Cline (google it!) says, 'We're All Just A Bunch Of Monkeys'

So I've got a saucepan and it's got a slow stream of cold water spilling over and down the drain.

This goes on for a few minutes until it's time to roll out for the morning carpool. I turn the water off, leave my share behind for me, and drop the other monkey's share into egg carriers I found under camping supplies.

These look like little egg cartons, only they're two piece ABS plastic shells, that you can toss this way and that. Great for carrying eggsg in. They're cheap and durable.

Today is -my- day off so I get to come home after the carpool, sit back and enjoy some nice hardboiled eggs. It was cheap, didn't really interrupt my day, and I got breakfast out of it. A nice breakfast that'll keep me going until I realize I've been puttering around the place too much, and it's afternoon, and I'm hungry again.

I like to eat my hardboiled eggs with a little liberated individual-serve salt & pepper from a fast-food restaurant chain. Light on the salt, heavy on the pepper. If I'm feeling fancy, a splash of Tobasco sauce or a squirt of taco sauce. Again, liberated.

In the end, I have three monkeys out and about, with a simple breakfast / snack food in their pocket, or ready to eat as time allows, one dirty pan, one dirty pan lid. since it was used for boiling water and rinsed, it's really quick to clean up and just set back on the stove for something else.

Next: Meat group!

No comments: